From the 1600's
In the medieval times the area was used as a route out of London to the Edgeware Road area, but by the end of the 16th century this route had become mainly disused.
Until the 20th century there were no major buildings at the site, other than a large house, Colindale Lodge, Colindale Farm and a few cottages.
Low land prices made the Colindale area very attractive to developers towards the end of the 19th century. This is why when the Cleveland Street Infirmary became overcrowded by 1890, and there was need for 350 more beds, Colindale was seen as the perfect location for a new development.
The new infirmary for the Central London Sick Asylum District was officially opened by Dr Thomas Prescott in 1900. The site consisted of 274 beds in the main infirmary with another two wards accommodating 240 patients, and two smaller separate wards for isolation cases and children.
NHS Colindale Hospital
Since it was opening in 1900 the facility changed hands a number of times and saw to a wide variety medical events. It was 1948 with it became NHS Colindale Hospital and continued to focus and specialise in the treatment of tuberculosis cases.
With the development of tuberculosis treatments it became a general hospital and even had a new physiotherapy department added in 1966.
Becoming Colindale Pulse
After a long history as a medical facility the hospital officially closed its doors in 1996.
The 16.3 acre site was acquired by Fairview New Homes for redevelopment in 2007. The plan was to build 700 homes, include the possibility of a new building for Barnet College, and some healthcare facilities to replace those that were lost in the area.
The Pulse development was built by Fairview New Homes in 2010 on this seven-year, 3 phased development which commenced in 2011.